It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:21 am

Post subject: Got my license... Time to shop
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:35 pm 
Forum User

Well, despite a really rough weekend with a lot of bad news, I've completed my rider safety course and gotten my motorcycle license. Only 6 points on my final eval (if you get over 20 you fail)

Time to shop for a bike.

Looking to get a cruiser in the 500-800cc range. Really like the look of the Harley's and the Honda's. Wouldn't mind something I can throw saddlebags on for a longer ride.

Not buying tomorrow so I have some time.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 am 
Forum User

I note your reference to saddle bags. You might want to take a look at some of the Yamaha V-Star models if you are considering anything close to a touring bike. A friend of mine has a 650cc V-Star, that looks like a big Harley but cost much less. They do make good bikes for commuting to work.

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 am 
Forum User

Awesome, Eric :cheers:

Check out the Yamaha Warrior (star) :thumbup:

I like the Midnight Warrior, but I'm a Yamaha whore:

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am 
Global Moderator

That Yamaha Warrior (star) might be a bit much for a first time rider.
I agree with Ken about the 650 metric, big enough that you feel stabile on the highway, not so big that it would feel like too much. I don?t care for the smaller Harley?s, too pricey for what you get. IMHO it?s a big Harley or something else.

Why not get a Vespa like Anthony, you could join his "Mod" scooter gang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:54 am 
Forum User

Star Motorcycles are Yamaha's. I didn't know that. I thought Star was another American made bike.

Umm, while once I looked at Vespa's, I don't think it would make it up my hill to my house.

Ok, I'm open to Yamaha's now.

Search continues... and I came across this one.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/796186178.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:28 pm 
Global Moderator

:shock: $3500, 7800m, looks clean, sounds like a deal! East Hampton is a bit of a trip from CT.

Last edited by Bklyn.X on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:46 pm 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
:shock: $3500, 7800m, looks clean, sounds like a deal! East Hampton is a bit of a trip from CT through.

I think they mean East Hapton, CT. Well, I hope they mean that because it's only 45 minutes from me.

I'm going to send an e-mail to the seller and see if I can setup a time to check out the bike.

Thanks for the input Tom, I'm hoping to get word from a couple other people and I might have myself a bike that I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Ah, CT not LI. When a bike is that old with that kind of low mileage it has been sitting. Look for any rust, any cracks in rubber. Take it for a ride, should feel and sound solid and smooth, track and break straight. After your test ride and the bike is warm, look for leaks. Check the oil should be clean since it was "just tuned up". Looks like a sweet deal to me. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 pm 
Forum User

Tom, you don't know how much I appreciate your input.

I asked those exact questions and he said, "I recently had the bike tuned-up and serviced, and they did not indicate that any seals or belts needed replacement."

I'm going to go check it out on Sunday.

If I like it I better buy a helmet and jacket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:24 am 
Global Moderator

xtraveler192 wrote:
If I like it I better buy a helmet and jacket.

Check out Anthony?s ?what do you wear? thread; http://www.nexterra.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2642
(get gray or black for cruisers; match the bike if you race, if you?re in a hip-hop super-bike gang or if you?re gay) :lol:

I don?t think there are any belts on that bike unless there is one on the final drive (of course check it). Cracks in rubber are a real pain because if they?re in one hose they?re usually in all of them. If you don?t change them out they leak or break at the most inopportune times. A little rust or pitting isn?t too much of a concern however it can be a clue to weather the bike?s been down or not, most of the time you can sand and paint the frame and/or buff out the chrome. Leaking gaskets will show once the oil is hot and the bike is running. The gaskets on the lower part of the engine, more exposed to the elements, are the ones that fail first but check them all. A failed gasket is something that I?ve always had a mechanic replace so there will be a cost to consider if you don?t do it yourself (a major PITA) it could also mean that the bike was run without being topped off with oil. Listen for abnormal tapping of valves and rockers at the head. One scumbag move is to add sawdust to the oil to hide many of these faults so like I said check the oil. You can see it in clean oil and feel it if you rub the oil between your fingers.

Most of this crap is over kill, but it?s slow at work. Most of the time a private seller doesn?t want you coming back at him for ripping you off so will be straight with you. again, good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am 
Forum User

Well, talked with some dealers and that bike is pretty popular, so that's probably why he prized it the way he did.

Turns out the Blue Book, and some other source (dealer pulled out a little book), is saying the bike is going for around $2500-$3000.

I'm hoping I can shoot for $3000 if everything looks clean since it does have the saddlebags already that I wanted to buy. Also with the lower mileage.

Have been looking at CycleGear.com for helmet and jacket and they have a store out in Manchester that I'm going to check out. I want to go 3/4 helmet (feel closed in with full-face) and textile jacket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 am 
Global Moderator

If that bike is as clean as it looks in the picture and the mileage is correct $3500 is more than a fair price. If you want to haggle bring cash, it?s harder to resist. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:09 pm 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
If that bike is as clean as it looks in the picture and the mileage is correct $3500 is more than a fair price. If you want to haggle bring cash, it?s harder to resist. 8)

Well, that's actually what I'm thinking about now, how to pay. I was thinking Money Order from the Post Office but those can only be up to $1000 each amount and you need to show ID for more then $3000 in the day.

I'll either get them over the course of a couple days, or work out another way.

I'm a little hesitant with cash.

Also, I need to work out how to get it back and insurance, so I think even if I like it, it won't be another couple of days until I can get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:54 pm 
Global Moderator

If you?re going to haggle over price then cash is the only way. No private seller is going to talk about lowering his price unless you ready to go with cash. You?ll just annoy the guy with checks or money orders. After you?ve ridden and inspected the bike ether you want it or you don?t.:wink:

The way it works in NY is that you give your insurer the vehicle information and they?ll provide you with the necessary insurance (which you can cancel if you don?t buy the bike). Have the seller sign over the clean (no lien) title and a ?bill of sale? (any paper with the make, model, year, VIN# of vehicle, price paid, signed by both parties). Give the seller the agreed upon price and the bike is yours. Take your insurance card, the signed over title and the bill of sale to DMV and register your bike. They?ll give you a plate and a registration sticker and you're all set! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:17 pm 
Forum User

Good luck, that looks like a great bike. Wednesday I finally go to convert my permit to full endorsement.