It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:30 pm

Post subject: problems with lifting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:22 pm 
Forum User

i went to go and get my shackles and leaf springs installed today and was told that it couldnt be done. i had to have longer shocks and sway bar links. is this something that has happened before or is this a load of bulls**t. these guys really pissed me off. the only reason why i am not doing it myself is i dont have a good place or the right tools. so my poor mans lift whent right out the window. just to even get that stuff on to the car is gonna cost me another 300 plus dollars. does anyone have anything to say about this that might make me and my wallet a little happier?

:guns: nissan service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:53 pm 
Supporting Member

You can come up here an I can help you do it and save you the money. Do you need longer shocks, yes, but the ones you have will probably do for now. If you have the stock shocks, they are probably shot anyway. I'll even give you my used Calmini rears which still have some life in them, the front ones, however are shot. :D

By the way, as for the sway bar links. Take the sway bars off, you won't even notice they are gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:54 pm 
Forum User

yeah..there is no need to pay to have a pml done. your stock shocks length is fine for now and like Scott said..most of us have got rid of our rear sway bars.

let us know and several of us would be happy to help you. (psst..scott has a heated garage :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:48 pm 
Forum User

thanks guys that actually sounds like a good idea. the guys at nissan wanted 550 dollars to install and i know that i dont need them to do it. im definitely gonna check my scheduele at work and see when i can take a ride up there. do you think ill be alright for the drive home without an alignment? suny oneonta is like 3.5 hours from me. how far are you from there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:01 pm 
Supporting Member

You should be fine for a while without an alignment. I am less than 6 miles from SUNY and it sould take you less than that. NYC is about 3.5 hours from me, so it should take you less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:39 pm 
Forum User

hey scott i think im definitely gonna hold you to that. i also just put in the order for the shrock bumper. it will be here in about a month. how hard is the bumper to install because if it requires some work im gonna hold off coming up to you until i get so you can show me what i need to do. if its not that hard ill do it myself and come up sooner. i dont know how much longer i a can wait to put the lift on. im thinking about just ordering some new shocks anyway. do you have any suggestions. i was looking at the billsteins 5100 heavy dutys. what length travel should i go with?

thanks for all your help
josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 pm 
Supporting Member

If you can wait, we can do it all at once. The bumper is not hard, but it really does take two people. The hardest part is taking off the old bumper. To put the Shrock on is bascally 6 bolts. You can get an alignment without doing the AAL and shackle. I would get the Bilstiens and get the ones for a lifted truck. I have heard that is not a problem, but cannot confirm from experience. If that is true, and you do a full suspension lift in the future, you will save some money. Myself, I would go for the longer ones. Again, I will give you my Calmini shocks, if you want, they still have some life in them.

Let me know, I'll be happy to help.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 pm 
Forum User

joshsxterra wrote:
suny oneonta is like 3.5 hours from me. how far are you from there?

3.5 hours is a bit much from the tappan zee less the 3. Of course the last time I was up there in october I got a fat speeding ticket, but from tappan zee to my father in-laws cabin in Otego is about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:20 pm 
Supporting Member

Sounds about right, and I am one exit past Otego...of course you shouldn't come up I-88.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:24 pm 
Forum User

No avoid I-88. You can get off in Roscoe and follow the signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:58 pm 
Forum User

i just put on the Bilstein 5100, the ones made for a 3" lift. I only have a PML, but the longer shocks are okay. They just give you more travel when your off-roading and stretching them out! Plus..when you get around to get the 3" lift, you'll be all set :)

Let me know when you guys plan this..I'll come up and help!