It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

Post subject: Long Island beaches
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:21 am 
Noob

My girlfriend and I are going down to Long Island in a couple weekends to visit her mom and she said we should take the Xterra and drive on the beach while we're there. They live near Smith Point beach I think.

My question is, how do I/can I drive on the beach there? I see some conflicting information about whether the beaches are closed for piping plover nesting season and there is business about a "Green Pass" that seems like you need to be a resident to obtain.

If any Long Island people could help me out here with some information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Long Island beaches
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:18 am 
Global Moderator

I'm sorry but I believe you will not be able to drive your truck on any beach in Long Island this year.
A limited amount of permits were sold beginning at 9:00AM on December 5th through 11:59PM on March 31st , 2023. They cost $80 NYS resident / $125 non-NYS resident and are only valid for "fishing" at: Hither Hills (Year round), Montauk Point (Year round), Napeague (Year round) and Robert Moses (Democrat Point and Sore Thumb) April 1 - December 31, hours vary.
There are separate permits for a few other spots and sports but the "fishing" one mentioned is the only one I've ever purchased, it's has the easiest requirements I need to fill since I like to fish.
Requirements: Valid Motor Vehicle Registration, Valid Driver's License, must have a valid enrollment in NYS DEC Recreational Marine Fishing Registry ID # and dates of validity. Permit valid April 1 - December 31.
Here is a link to the PDF permit guide from NYS if you're interested in getting one next year:
https://parks.ny.gov/documents/regions/ ... sGuide.pdf

I've never seen it happen but I was told that if I got caught driving my truck on the beach without the proper authorization I would have my vehicle confiscated, I wouldn't risk it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:42 am 
Club Treasurer

What Tom is talking about is the State Pass. Thats for Giglo, Sorethumb, heather hills, and democrat point.

Smiths point beach is open I believe has currently reopened after nesting season. I would call smiths point and see what the cost is. this was after a quick google search but this was 2020

Quote:
Suffolk County Outer Beach Access Season Permit

Smith Point, Cupsogue, Montauk, Shinnecock East, Cedar Point, Northwest Harbor and Orient Point County Parks offer outer beach access opportunities to off-road vehicles. The Recreational Vehicle Use permit includes access to designated beaches as well as night fishing in designated parks.

The permit costs $100 a year for Green Key Holders and $250 a year for non-residents. A driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proper equipment are required to purchase a permit. Permits are available for purchase at West Sayville, Blydenburgh, Cathedral Pines, Cedar Point, Indian Island, Sears Bellows and Smith Point County Parks. In season, they are also available at Montauk, Cupsogue and Shinnecock East County Parks.

Outer Beach Access Daily Permit

Daily Outer Beach Access permits allows for one day of outer beach access at Smith Point, Cupsogue, Montauk, Shinnecock East, Cedar Point, Northwest Harbor, Orient Point County Parks.

The permits cost $33 a day for Green Key Holders and $44 a day for non-residents. A driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proper equipment are required to purchase a permit.

Get there super early especially with most of the beach closed due to plovers (stupid birds)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:07 pm 
Club President

bottobro wrote:
Get there super early especially with most of the beach closed due to plovers (stupid birds)

We deal with them on the Cape, too. I used to get a pass for driving on Race Point Beach, and sections would be shutdown due to nesting plovers. The locals around town had bumper stickers saying "Piping Plover - Tastes like Chicken". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:53 pm 
Global Moderator

bottobro wrote:
What Tom is talking about is the State Pass. Thats for Giglo, Sorethumb, heather hills, and democrat point.

Smiths point beach is open I believe has currently reopened after nesting season…

:oops: Sorry, I stand corrected

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:35 pm 
Supporting Member

MtDewMike wrote:
bottobro wrote:

We deal with them on the Cape, too. I used to get a pass for driving on Race Point Beach, and sections would be shutdown due to nesting plovers. The locals around town had bumper stickers saying "Piping Plover - Tastes like Chicken". :lol:

The outer banks deals with them too. The locals despise them. They have bumper sticker that says "Save a bird, Kill a town"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:45 pm 
Noob

Dang I never realized how polarizing these birds were. As somebody who lives hours from any beach and has no skin in the game, I think they're just funny little birds.

I appreciate the links and info from everybody. I'll try calling the Long Island parks department or whatever they call themselves and get to the bottom of this.